With most of the summer planting done, we at Riley Park have immensely enjoyed meeting fellow community members, listening to the Farmer's Market musicians while working on Saturdays, watering in the evenings in the warm breeze, and seeing the garden really come to life.
We have lots planned for this Saturday in the Garden:
10-12:30pm: Garden Work Party- join us as we dig into the garden while making connections with the community!
12:30-3pm: Tomato Festival Celebration!
- 12:30- Tomato varietal presentation and tasting by Earth Apple Organics at the Riley Park Farmer's Market
- 1pm- Tomato potluck (feel free to share a dish- we have fridge space in the fieldhouse if you are coming for the work party beforehand!)
3:30-5pm: Fall/Winter Planting Workshop with Farmer Chris from One Love Farm- come join us as we learn what to plant for the upcoming seasons, how to plant them, zero-waste planting techniques, and more
UPCOMING EVENTS IN ADDITION TO SATURDAY WORK PARTIES:
- Aug 24: 9-3pm Economical Insurance Corporate Work Party
- Aug 26: 12:30-3pm Tomato Harvest Potluck
3:00-5pm Fall/Winter planting workshop with One Love Farm
- Aug 30: 9-3pm Economical Insurance Corporate Work Party
- Sept 2: 10-2pm Donation Station at the Riley Park Farmers Market 3pm Mad Hatter Tea Party
- Sept 16: 12:30pm Artful Community Reflections
- Sept 18: 6pm Soil Science Workshop with Jo from Rootshoot
- Sept 22: 6:30pm Medicine Wheel Fall Solstice
- Sept 23: 10-2pm Apple Harvest Festival: taste and learn about apples.
- Sept 30: 12:30pm Garlic Growing Workshop
- Oct 7: 10-2pm Wild Salmon Caravan Celebration & Three Sisters Lunch
Donation Station at the Riley Park Farmers Market
LATINO WATERING NIGHT COOKOUT & SYRIAN POTLUCK LUNCH
We had a wonderful time this month celebrating the various cultures of our garden bed members. On one watering night, Marta and the rest of the Latino Newcomers group hosted a festive latin-themed cookout featuring live music and barbequed vegetables, which were donated from the Riley Park Farmer's Market during one of our Donation Stations (the first Saturday of every month)! Highlights included handmade empanadas and the Colombian musicians.
After the Saturday work party on August 12th, garden bed members Silva and the Alhariri family hosted a Syrian potluck lunch in the garden for community members. Dishes included tabbouleh, hummus, spinach pie, fresh figs, and kelp noodle salad from Japanese gardener Amy. The sun was shining and bellies were left full and satisfied!
Make sure to always stay up to date with what's going on in the garden by subscribing to our newsletter + checking out the events calendar on www.rileyparkgarden.org as well as following our Facebook page Riley Park Garden!